I'm a fused glass artist and I love to create things.
This blog is about my art, my newest creations and anything that fancies me!

Please feel free to check out my website where I sell all my pieces:
http://www.artisticflair.etsy.com/

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rindy's Rally

A good friend from my high school was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer and had to undergo a full mastectomy this week. She just started a new job and is not eligible for paid time off. She is estimated to be off work for 4-6 weeks. The classes of Reynoldsburg High School are coming together to have a fundraiser for her at Romeo's Pizza, 80 W. Church Street, Pickerington, OH on Tuesday, May 18, 2010. The event is from 6pm-9pm and tickets are $10.00, which includes pizza and pop. $8 of the $10 raised by each ticket goes directly to Rindy. Also, a portion of everything Romeo's sells that day will be going to Rindy too. So, if you are in the area.... you have to eat dinner, right? Stop by and get a pizza and you'll be helping out a very good friend of ours and supporting a great cause.

There will also be a silent auction as well. I couldn't think of a better way to donate a piece of my art to this great cause. Reynoldsburg High School's mascot is a raider (Reynoldsburg Raiders) and I thought it would be fun to create that with fused glass for the auction. I think I chose to make this because I really feel that this event shows how our class is coming together to support a fellow classmate/friend.


Now, on a personal note...... breast cancer sucks! I am a huge advocate of breast cancer awareness - my mom has been a survivor now for 10 years and cancer has affected many family members and friends. The best way to fight breast cancer is to catch the disease in its early stages. When breast cancer is detected early (localized stage), the 5-year survival rate is 98%. I actually have to thank Rindy - because of her, I got my first mammogram. So for my dear friend, hang in there, we're all pulling for you!

1 comment:

Amy Lilley Designs said...

My goodness Miss Deb, you NAILED it!!!...what a wonderful way to donated to help your dear friend, Rindy...I pray that you all raise a ton of money...and yes, early detection is the key...couldn't agree more...will be holding her in my prayers...XXXXXXX