Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Betty Boop - She's Still Got It!
My newest fused glass creation comes to life! The fabulous Betty Boop. In honor of this sassy cartoon character, here are 10 facts about her. Test your knowledge - did you know....
1. In her first cartoon appearance, Betty Boop was a dog character with long floppy ears and great legs! She was first seen in human form in the 1931 release of 'Dizzy Red Riding Hood’.
2. Great musical stars including Maurice Chevalier, Rudy Vale, Ethel Merman, Louis Armstrong, and Cab Calloway, were showcased in Betty Boop's cartoons.
3. In the 1930s, Betty Boop was criticized for being too sexy.
4. Betty Boop appeared in her underwear In 'Silly Scandals' (1931) and 'Poor Cinderella' (1934), more than three decades before Madonna was even born!
5. Long before Marilyn Monroe's dress was blowing in the wind. Betty Boop's dress made this statement in 'Betty Boop's Ups and Downs' (1932).
6. Betty Boop was one of a handful of legendary glamorous female stars saluted in a line of clothing by designer Bob Mackie.
7. Betty Boop was the first cartoon star ever to be profiled on A & E's acclaimed
8. Today there are 250 companies manufacturing Betty Boop licensed products in the United States and nearly as many abroad
9.Betty Boop fans are called "Boopaholics", Betty Boop memorabilia is known as "Boopabilia"
10. Betty Boop is the only female cartoon star who is not a foil for a male. She’s an independent woman who once said "I can do anything a man can do.”
For more info on my fused glass Betty Boop, please check her out on my etsy site: